Thursday, November 15, 2012

Life after Football

I wake up every morning and there isn't one inch on my body that doesn't hurt.  But that is the price I payed when I decided to play football.
I have broke my wrist, tore my MCL, had concussions, and most recently tore my labrum in my right shoulder.  These things bother me every day and don't get me wrong I love football but I am afraid for my future.  I want to be able to walk or exercise when I'm older or even be able to move.  I want to be able to be active with my kids and not have my brain turn to mush and forget past events.  When I think about it, it is crazy what I sacrifice for the game of football, and it's only Division 3.  The time I have put into it, what I've put my body through, and the sacrifice I've made being away from my family.  But with all these sacrifices come great payments.  I have won two conference championships, which many people won't ever have or even know the feeling.  But most importantly I have adopted hundreds of family members with the Tiger football family.  Alumni, and my present team mates that I have now.  And I am grateful for them and the opportunities that they have presented to me or will in the future.  I just hope my health doesn't get in the way of it.

1 comment:

  1. I have had the same thoughts Mike, but in reference to volleyball of course. It is crazy to think about the amount of time athletes spend devoted to their respective sport. I mean, I have been committed to volleyball practically year round since the age of 8. But like you said, with the sacrifices made come great rewards. I would not take back any of the years I spent playing volleyball or the bruises/injuries that resulted; and there were plenty of them haha. Good Luck this weekend!! I hope you guys do well in the tournament!!

    ReplyDelete