Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Semester Article



There is no doubt that Wittenberg has multiple successful athletic teams, and that most of our campus is made up of athletes.  Witt has wanted to increase enrollment for a while now from what I hear and they ask the athletic department to up recruiting in order to bring in more students.  But is this the right thing to do?  For example my class, the class of 2014 brought in over 100 recruits to play football.  In my junior year there are about 40 of us left.  This leads to financial problems for the school.  Even though Witt cannot give money because they are a Division 3 school they still give scholarship to athletes that other students don't receive.  This story may be a it difficult because of privacy issues, but I would really like to see what I can draw out from the athletic department and the university.

3 comments:

  1. I get what your saying with, recruiting so many kids just to come in and quit. The only way that a D3 team has a chance at being good is if they recruit as many kids as possible, and see which ones end up being good enough to play in the games, because so many also quit before their four years are up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. I thik the school will fight this at every turn, and it has people that can seem so sincere when they're blantanly being political advocates to shine this place in the best possible light. Don't get fooled and ask a lot of questoins. Maybe get some hard facts first and then ask the president, since she's new and trying to change this place, how she feels ont he situation. Also, this kinda goes hand in hand w/ my story for the semester so let me know what you find and I'll do the same

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could talk to Garnett, and see how he feels about recruitment and the the numbers decrease through the four years, and what problems that causes to the athletic dept. in general.

    ReplyDelete